Monday, February 1, 2010

The term "Jeliya"

Jeliya is a Manding word meaning "musicianhood" and it refers to the hereditary caste of professional musicians, poets, and storytellers in West Africa. These people are also known as griots, jeliw, or jali. The jeliya were immensely important to the culture of West Africa, as they kept the oral histories of their tribes, and were expected to memorize vast amounts of information as well as be accomplished entertainers and musicians. They are crucial to the survival of West Africa's ancient musical traditions and the knowledge of their instruments, scales, keys, and songs. I decided to name my blog Jeliya after these people first because I admire them and have an immense respect for West African music and musicians, and secondly, because I want this blog to eventually be able to showcase the broad palette of music that is made in Africa, and share the gems that I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment